You can go for soulful one day hike to the Barsey Rhododendron Sanctuary. This is 104 sq km sanctuary in the Singalila range famous for Rhododendron flowers. During Mid March to May if you visit here you will find beautiful Rhododendron flowers blooming everywhere and it looks like a fairy land with rioting colors. Walking becomes more enjoyable as Mt. Kanchenjunga, world’s third highest peak stands in the backdrop like a guardian of this region. This sanctuary is also famous for various species of animals and birds and amongst them the endangered Red Panda is definitely the main attraction. This hike starts from Dentam, a peaceful town of Sikkim where you reach from Uttarey by our car. On your way to Dentam from Uttarey you will cross Singshore bridge, the 2nd highest suspension cable bridge in Asia.
This is a lesser-known hike is highly recommended for such adventure lovers who want to experience raw beauty of the Himalayas in a quiet place.
Things to carry
- Comfortable and warm clothes.
- A daysack(20 L).
- Good quality trekking shoes.
- Rain Jacket/Poncho.
- Sunscreen lotion or any other skin moisturizers.
- Water bottles and energy bars/snacks.
- A pair of sunglasses.
Permit & Entry fee
All the permit procedure and entry fees will be taken care by us including the still and video camera charges. National tourists must bring valid id card with them. Foreign tourists must bring their passport with valid visa for this hike.
Custom & Advisory
- Pay attention to your guide to enjoy a safe and sound hiking experience.
- Do not consume alcohol or any other intoxicants during the hike.
- Carry basic medications and a first-aid kit during the hike.
- It’s our responsibility to keep the nature clean. Please do not encourage littering the local places.
- Observe silence inside a monastery or temple.
- While visiting in any religious place please remove your footwear before entering into the main temple.
- People will happily pose for a picture but please ask them before do so.
- Tipping is not mandatory. It’s up to your satisfaction.
Health & Safety
- If you are allergic to plants and pollen then take precaution.
- Carry sufficient water (atleast 2 ltr PP) from Uttarey or Dentam for this hike.
- This place is safe for family and friends and tourist friendly.