Spread over 36 sq km in Sikkim, the hidden paradise in the Himalayas, Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary is one of the less explored Sanctuaries in India. Treasury of many medicinal plants and herbs, this Sanctuary is also home to endangered Red Panda. Apart from other wildlife there are innumerable birds can be found in this sanctuary. It is no wonder than more than 200 different species of birds have been recorded here so far and amongst them here are the names of some star attractions – Satyr Tragopan, Fire-tailed Myzornis, Sultan Tit, Common Hill Partridge, Blue necked Pita, Grey Treepie, etc. The state bird of Sikkim Blood Pheasant can be seen in the high altitudes. During birdwatching trip you get lucky then sighting of endangered Red Panda can be happen. It’s will be a very special thing if you get to see this shy and lovely animal, which is also the state animal of Sikkim.
Smile Panda Tours organizes guided birdwatching trip in this Sanctuary for the interested visitors. Our customized birdwatching itineraries are carefully designed so that birdwatchers can have plenty of chances to get maximum views. We are so lucky to have local birdwatching guides with us who know this region for more than 10 years. It’s their years of field study experience that makes them one of the most experienced birdwatchers of this region. So with us we can firmly say that your are going with the masters of this jungle.
Things to carry
- Comfortable and warm clothes.
- Good quality trekking shoes.
- Rain Jacket/Poncho.
- Water bottles and energy bars/snacks.
- A pair of sunglasses.
Permit & Entry fee
We will arrange all the permit needed for this tour.
Custom & Advisory
- Pay attention to your guide to enjoy a safe and sound birdwatching experience.
- Avoid wearing clothes having fluorescent or neon colors.
- Maintain silence while walking in the sanctuary.
- It’s our responsibility to keep the nature clean. Please do not encourage littering the local places or campsites.
- Do not consume alcohol or any other intoxicants during the tour.
- We can provide porter to carry your gears at an additional cost.
- Tipping is not mandatory. It’s up to your satisfaction.
Health & Safety
- If you are allergic to plants and pollen then take precaution.
- Maenam Wildlife Sanctuary is famous for rich flora and fauna. Here the large animal is Asiatic black bear. However, they are very less seen in the route. No wildlife attack on birdwatchers have been recorded so far. But it’s not advisable to go for unguided walks in the Sanctuary.