One can hike to the Tango monastery from Thimphu. The hike takes around 1.5 hrs from the road head. The path is well maintained and surrounded by trees. The view of Thimphu city on the way up to the monastery looks so nice. Built in the 13th century it’s one of the oldest monasteries in Bhutan. During that time it was built in a short span of just two months. The monastery has six temples namely, the Longku lhakhang, the Trulku lhakhang, the Guru lhakhang, the Choeku lhakhang, the Namsey Lhakhang and the Gonkhang. There is also a natural fountain in the courtyard of the monastery.
There is another monastery near to Tango monastery name Chagri monastery or Cheri monastery which was built is 1620 AD. This old monastery is also a nice place to visit.
Things to carry
- Comfortable and warm clothes.
- A daysack(20 L).
- Good quality trekking shoes.
- Rain Jacket/Poncho.
- Sunscreen lotion or any other skin moisturizers.
- Water bottles and energy bars/snacks.
- A pair of sunglasses.
Permit & Entry fee
All the permit procedure and entry fees will be taken care by us including you still and video camera charges.
Custom & Advisory
- Pay attention to your guide to enjoy a safe and sound hiking experience.
- Do not consume alcohol or any other intoxicants during the hike.
- Carry basic medications and a first-aid kit during the hike.
- It’s our responsibility to keep the nature clean. Please do not encourage littering the local places or campsites.
- Observe silence inside a monastery or temple.
- While visiting in any religious place please remove your footwear before entering into the main temple.
- People will happily pose for a picture but please ask them before do so.
- Tipping is not mandatory. It’s up to your satisfaction.
Health & Safety
- If you are allergic to plants and pollen then take precaution.
- You can get safe drinking water at the monastery.
- This place is safe for family and friends and tourist friendly.